At the height of the Great Depression in the 1930s, Sam Golden joined his uncle Leonard Bocour as a business partner in Bocour Artist Colors. In the beginning, these gentlemen only produced hand-ground oil colors for artists. The shop, on 15th Street in Manhattan, became a popular hangout for artists from the 1930s through the early 1950s.
During a visit from a local artist, there was a request for an artist color that possessed a thicker, honey-like consistency. Sam and Leonard got to work, but the first versions of the paint seemed to dry before the paint was applied—but after a great deal of trial and error, from 1946 to 1949, an acrylic was ready for commercial production. . . and as they say, the rest was history!
At GOLDEN Artist Colors, Inc. we are focused on creating and sharing an extensive acrylic system comprised of the most imaginative and innovative tools of colors, line and texture. To that end, we offer. . .
- The largest assortment of professional grade, quality colors
- Pure pigments in 100% acrylic emulsion vehicle
- No fillers, extenders or opacifiers are added
- The largest selection of interference and iridescent colors
- All products made in the U.S.A.
Check out the GOLDEN Virtual Paint Mixer