Click to Magnify, Double Click to Zoom
|Other Views - Click on Images to Change View|
When you see this symbol on our site or in advertisements it is a Jerry's Artarama special exclusive brand. The Jerry's Artarama brands offer quality, exceptional performance and value. All Jerry's Artarama Exclusive brands come with a guaranteed 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee.
|SAVE UP TO 62% OFF LIST|
|Save up to $19.26 off List|
|(Super Sale Ends 01/04/2015)|
Naturally the best sponges in the world!
Just like natural hair paintbrushes are better at holding color and water, so natural sponges are better than synthetic when it comes to artistic use. Natural sponges not only hold color and water between their fibers, but absorb it directly into the fiber itself, allowing for greater color load and longer application time. New Aphrodite Natural Sponges are carefully harvested in Greece under strict control to keep them free of any contaminates, and are available in a wide array of sizes and textures for any myriad of artistic uses! Among some of the many uses for natural fiber paint sponges are:
- Ceramics - For thousands of years, natural hair sponges have been used in ceramics and pottery as a smoothing aide. Potters need slurry to keep their pieces smooth and moist, and nothing brings water to the potter more efficiently than a natural fiber sponge!
- Faux Finishing - 'Sponging on' and 'sponging off' are both highly popular forms of faux finish techniques, among many others involving sponges. The irregular texture of natural fiber sponges makes for the most organic, interesting patterns and they not only hold more color but allow for a more controlled release.
- Watercolor Painting - Watercolorists have long been in love with the natural sponge! Sponges can be used for wetting paper, or for absorbing excess saturation. As sponges have no hair, they leave none behind on the paper like brushes can do. Perfect for lifting paint and for softening and blending colors, natural sponges are indispensible in the watercolor studio!
- Acrylic Painting - Use Aphrodite natural sponges to achieve organically textured effects in acrylics, to wipe, smooth, and blend colors, even use in place of a brush for direct application! The possibilities of expression are limitless when you combine sponges with acrylic paints.
- Oil Painting - Natural sponges are fantastic for applying thin glazes of color, and new quick-dry mediums mean multiple layers can be applied over a short period of time to build up depth and refraction, while the sponges will not leave trace hairs behind in the layers! Sponges can also be loaded with liquid oil colors and used in dripping and spattering techniques, or with solvents for wiping and smudging.
Aphrodite Natural Painting Sponges are available in a variety of sizes and textures for any number of applications. 6 sets are offered in convenient Value Packs, and are sure to become a vital tool in your artistic pantheon!
- Artist Value Pack 1 - Three 3.5"-4" coarse natural sponges
- Artist Value Pack 2 - Five 2.5"-4.5" coarse natural sponges
- Artist Value Pack 3 - Two 5.5"-6" large natural sponges, one sea grass and one sea wool
- Artist Value Pack 4 - Two extra large 4" elephant ear natural sponges
- Artist Value Pack 5 - Five basic 2" coarse sea grass and sea wool sponges
- Artist Value Pack 6 - Eight small to medium 1"-3" fine sea silk sponges