The Perfect Sidekick for any Comic Artist
Greetings! Welcome to the blog of Karalyn and Company. This blog and its attendant articles are dedicated to specifically assisting artists who create artworks in the realms of Comics, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi art. This is a way to to help you reach your artistic and professional potential.
We will address aspects from creating art to the best ways of marketing your artworks. Here you will get tips from some of today's modern masters. Topics will be discussed that will aid you in your artistic journey. We will cover a wide variety of subject which include
- art techniques using a broad variety of tools
- tips on how to overcome artist's block
- convention tips
- guerilla marketing
- and lots of technical information regarding supplies so that you can make informed decisions on what tools and products are best suited to your individual artistic needs.
Karalyn and our artist ambassadors have been attending conventions all over the country this year empowering artists by offering classes, sponsoring art contests, supporting charities near and dear to the comics' community such as the Hero Initiative which offers financial assistance to comic creators who need help with medical and/or financial assistance. We have also assisted Team Cul De Sac in raising money for The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. Our ambassadors also distribute product samples and personalized collectable coupons which are only available from the artist ambassadors at the conventions they attend.
Our Current Cast of Characters:
- Karalyn C. Johnson is a professional illustrator, sculptor, multimedia artist, guerrilla marketer, technical expert and technical consultant to the art supply industry. For years Karalyn has been instrumental in bringing artists together. She was the motivating force behind the DVD Adam Hughes: Drawing Good Girls available from Jerry's Artarama. Karalyn's artwork can be found both in museums in the USA and private collections worldwide. She is dedicated to escalating the public's perception of comic, fantasy and sci-fi art to the status of fine art.
- Mark A. Nelson, the owner and artist of Grazing Dinosaur Press, Mark has always followed two paths as an artist and as an educator/teacher. He is well accomplished in the fantasy field, some of his credist include: TSR, Wizards of the Coast, and World of Warcraft. In comics he has been crucial in the instrumentation of the Harvey nominated "Aliens" comic with Mark Verheiden for Dark Horse, "Blood and Shadows", a comic for DC co created with Joe R. Landsdale, "Feud", a creator owned comic for Marvel co-created with Mike Baron, Hellraiser, Nightbreed, Heavy Metal DHP. Working in the field of video games, Mark was the Art Director and lead concept artist at Pi Studios and at Ravensoftware as senior concept artist. Some of the games include Star Wars: Jedi Knights and Star Trek: Elite Force.
- Buzz(Yes, just Buzz), Buzz's comic book work has been featured in titles like JSA, Vampirella, Atomika, X-Factor, Shi, Lady Death, Impulse, JLI, Dragonlace, Forgotten Realms and many more. His commercial work includes clients like CBS, FOX, the Los Angeles Lakers, Sony, Coca-Cola, Phillip Morris, Paramount, and the US Marine Corps. Buzz has received several Emmy Awards.
- Jamal Y. Igle is an award winning artist and writer. Best known for his run on Supergirl with writer Sterling Gates, Jamal has been a professional jack of all trades for nearly 20 years drawing every title from Action Comics to Zatanna for DC Comics. A former comics retailer, editor for several small press companies including TV Comics, Airwave Comics and Destination Entertainment. Jamal is a former Junior Art Director and Marketing Representative in the advertising and publishing arenas. Jamal's clients have included Marvel Comics, Image Comics, Dark Angel Prdouctions/ Simmons and Company, Devils Due Studios, IDW Publishing, Walt Disney Inc. Sony Television, CBS Television, Warner Bros., Consumer Products and Scholastic Entertainment. Jamal is the creator of Comics' MOLLY DANGER.
To kick off this new series of articles, Karalyn and Company would love to invite all New York Comic Con 2013 attendees to our very own Jamal Y. Igle's "Molly Danger" Comic Book Launch Party and Signing sponsored by Jerry's Artarama! Meet Jamal and learn the story of Molly Danger, the world's most powerful, Supermech fighting, evil stomping 10-year old. This event will take place on Saturday, October 12th, from 9pm to 12am EDT at JHU Comic Books (32 E 32nd St, New York, New York 10016). All proceeds from the event benefit the Hero's Initiative. We would love to see you there!