Gerard Parent founded an unnamed brush company near Paris, France in 1793. Although this was a politically uncertain time the company prospered. Gerard manned the company until 1825, as it was then transferred to several different owners. In 1859 Charles Saur bought the company and moved in to Oinville. Decades later, Charles’s son Max moved the company once again in 1925 to Saint-Brieuc, near Brittany. Since then the company has remained in the Saur family, and over 5 generations later, they are still committed to bringing artists the best brushes available.