Expand the creative possibilities of Akua Inks with Akua Mediums!
These Akua Mediums are perfect for altering the creative properties of Akua Intaglio Inks and Akua Liquid Pigments. Whether you require a thinner or thicker consistency, a longer or shorter open time, or the ability to create "ghost prints", these mediums have you covered! Several of these mediums can be used with both Akua Intaglio Inks and Akua Liquid Pigments.
- Blending Medium - It is used to thin ink for brushwork, wash effects or use it as a resist for viscosity monotypes. It is a clear, colorless liquid. It cleans up easily with water. This medium can be use with both Akua Liquid Pigments and Akua Intaglio Inks.
- Extender - It is used to thin Akua Liquid Pigment if it has become too thick due to an extended open time. It is a thick liquid in consistency, and transparent in color. This medium can only be used with Akua Liquid Pigments.
- Mag Mix (Ink Stiffener) - This medium was formerly called Mag Mix. When mixed with Akua Intaglio, this medium adds depth and stiffens the ink. It is clear/white in color with a very stiff consistency. Mag Mix cleans up easily with liquid dish detergent. This medium can only be used with Akua Intaglio Inks.
- Pigment Retarder - This medium has two purposes. First, it helps transfer ink onto dry paper when a few drops are mixed into Akua Liquid Pigments. Secondly, it also extends the working time of Akua Liquid Pigments. It is a clear liquid, and cleans up easily with water. This medium can only be used with Akua Liquid Pigments.
- Pigment Tack Thickener - This medium thickens Akua Liquid Pigment for heavier roll-up applications. It's consistency is not as thick as Transparent Base or Akua Intaglio ink. It is medium amber in color, has a thick consistency, and cleans up easily with soapy water. This medium can only be used with Akua Liquid Pigments.
- Release Agent - This medium has three purposes. First, it is required to release Akua Liquid Pigment brushwork from plate to paper when hand-printing monotypes with the Pin Press. Second, it is used for making ghost prints. A ghost print is the second print from a monotype plate that has been inked only one time. It is a lighter version of the same image. By rolling Release Agent over the plate, it helps to transfer the remaining ink off the plate and onto another sheet of paper. Third, it helps soften the metallic ink so it can easily transfer off the plate and onto the paper. Roll Akua Release Agent over the metallic ink that was applied to the plate. It looks white in the jar but rolls up clear and colorless. It has a soft, buttery consistency and cleans up easily with liquid dish detergent. This medium can be used with Akua Intaglio Inks and Akua Liquid Pigments.
- Transparent Base - This medium is Akua Intaglio Ink without the pigment. Adding Akua Liquid Pigment to Transparent Base will thicken Akua Liquid Pigment and create new intaglio or relief colors. Adding Akua Intaglio ink to this base will increase ink transparency. It is a light amber in color and has a thick consistency. This medium can be used with Akua Intaglio Inks and Akua Liquid Pigments.